25 HTML editors

A friend recently asked me about HTML editors. I thought I may as well share the list. So, here they are… 25 HTML editors, in alphabetical order. Are there any other good HTML Editors that have been omitted from the list?

Being a Mac person, I have been using BBedit for many years, though I’ve heard good things about Panic’s Coda. What HTML editor do you use?

Update

The list keeps growing. Here are a few additions from the comments below:

Date: 8 August 2007
Author: Russ Weakley
Category: CSS, Web, Web standards
Tags:

Comments so far

1. Loic says:

Why aren’t you listing Dreamweaver ?

Loic

2. Lothar Baier says:

You forgot to mention my favorite one:

Notepad++

3. Define HTML editor? In my case Emacs with the nXML mode is my modus operandi.

4. ko says:

There has to be a specific reason why dreamweaver isn’t on that list. Care to share Russ?

I personally use TextMate for most of my coding (html, ruby, php, c), and vi for the rest.

5. juque says:

There is just only ONE editor: Vim.

- XML
    - XHTML
    - CSS
    - Javascript
    - PHP
    - Python
    - Ruby

… and a big so on.

6. Russ says:

Why didn’t I include Dreamweaver? This is a good question as I often use it for building small to medium static sites for clients. The main reason was that my friend had asked for “low budget HTML editors”. I forgot to mention this in the post – but like the term “HTML editor”, “low budget” is open to interpretation!

7. Brian says:

Intype

And e-texteditor

are both fairly new and quite good

8. Bambang says:

I love to use Notepad++, because it’s light.
    NVU also a popular free HTML editor. Nvu – The Complete Web Authoring System for Linux, Macintosh and Windows. http://www.nvu.com

9. 5047 says:

You forgot my favorite one too : Programmers Notepad.
    Even if it’s a little bit boring to create a project with it, programmers notepad is very lite and can open very big txt files . I’ve tested up to a 120Mo text file !
    here is the link : http://www.pnotepad.org/

10. fwolf says:

you forgot:

- Kate – based on Katepart, which is also utilized by Quanta Plus
    - KWrite – basically a low-profile Kate
    - SciTE

cu, w0lf.

11. Fabrice says:

HomeSite all the way!

12. jazzle says:

It is only for code, not a visual designer, but I use the opensource Eclipse with the PHPeclipse plugin.

13. Peggy says:

Great list – I was going to say … “Where is Dreamweaver?” but everyone else beat me to it! LOL!

P.S. Russ – I hope it’s okay to include this list in my blog which is read by design students at my alma mater. I will post a credit and link back. If not, please let me know ASAP.

14. Andy Ford says:

I used to use Crimson Editor which is now abandonware. I moved to EditPlus for a while and now I swear by Notepad++

We recently got CS3 at work – I was so excited to finally try DreamWeaver (for the code editor, not the wysiwyg)… but I found that I’m so happy with Notepad++ as my main code editor that I haven’t switched to DreamWeaver.

It’s also worth mentioning the FireBug extension for FireFox – it’s not a standalone editor, but it does allow you to make edits to live sites (or more accurately, it let’s you make edits to your local copy of live sites). And it has tons of other tools for inspecting/editing html, css, and javascript. – It’s actually one of my main (and most handy) tools for front end web development.

15. Sean says:

Well I use Textpad mainly because that’s what we had here when I started. Newer machines are getting Notepad++ because it is just as good (some people say better) and it’s also free. I notice that Notepad++ seems cleaner and much more light weight.

16. Mmm I use the good old fashioned Notepad, free and simple to use :)

Been looking at the Notepad ++ however, but I am an old fart who hates change :D

17. Ben Buchanan says:

I’ve been using Textpad for years, but I’m also keeping a keen eye on the progress of the InType alpha.

18. I recently switched to Mac, partly because I was impressed by TextMate. A long time TopStyle pro user I’d got into the habit of using snippets with autoreplacement tokens for repetitive work.

I like TextMate’s infinite flexibility and simplicity of project creation. I teamed i with Panic’s Transmit.

More recently I have used Panic’s Coda for on the server site updates and small brochure site creation – nice but not as powerful as TextMate, so my workflow has become TextMate for major sites (PHP/MySQL) and Coda for the quick and dirty brochure sites.

(I still sometimes fire up Topstyle Pro under Parallels, but the more I use TextMate, the more I like it)

19. Michael Vogt says:

I use IntelliJ Idea from jetbrains for html, css and JavaScript editing. Beeing originally a Java IDE, it brings all the great features to editing these formats, too.

20. enviro says:

I’m glad to see some of the FLOSS team already mentioned: Vim, Kate & KWrite. Great for general purpose. For web specific try: Quanta

21. Paul Collins says:

Like a lot of others, I have made the migration to Mac in recent years. I used to use Homesite on the PC and to be honest, I still miss it. I’ve got onto Textmate and now I’m getting used to the shortcuts; it’s pretty good for things . There are some things missing though, such as the Search Functionality of Homesite, the ease of creating shortcuts, the tag colouring.

I do hear things like this will be coming out with Textmate 2 though, so I will be holding out for then!

22. Simon Bruce says:

EmEditor Professional is my favourite windows editor

23. trix01 says: